Thursday, August 07, 2008

Being back home....


Did I happen to mention I really love being back home?! One thing I love and didn't realize I had missed was the sound of the locusts up in the trees here. It's not something I remember hearing in TN, it's super loud, but lovely! I was outside one early evening just returning from a walk with the babies and just listened, you really gotta live in a neighborhood with mature trees because that is where they hide. All of the sudden I totally remembered being little and growing up in IN and always hearing that noise in the summer and it was really comforting. It's a rare occasion that I actually see one flying around, they mostly stay up in the trees which is good because I am terrified of big bugs and I would totally knock you down to get away from one flying towards me, (just ask my friend Anita)! But I do love to hear them while we are out walking in the early evening. Another thing I love, which sounds really weird, is driving down back roads or country roads and having cornfields on both sides of the road. I knew I was back home when you can barely drive 2 miles without seeing a cornfield! I also love that family is here and Lilly and Asher know them by name and get to see them whenever we want. We spend lots of time in Cicero which is where my mom, dad, brother and two sisters live (plus their kids). We are also only 3.5 hours from Brad's parents and are able to see them lots more too. We will head back up to MI again Aug. 15th. Before, we could only make it once a year. Ok....that is my thought for tonight...here is a cute picture taken at Aunt Shelly's house with neighborhood friends Connor and Tague.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture! How cute are all of them!

Shelly

The Shingletons said...

You make me want to move home to Oklahoma! Wheat fields instead of corn fields though :) I'm so glad everything is going so great! I miss you though. Kent is doing an interim pastorate at a church in Nashville. He is loving pastoring. They would like him to come full time, but I don't think it's the right fit. We are still waiting to see what's next?? It's good to check on you through your blog! Did you know that Jamie and Aaron moved TODAY? They loaded up and went to Austin, Texas. Also much closer to home for them. Our house has had tears flowing all day. The boys were with us for the last few days and then we went out to eat with them last night. We are bummed for us, but excited for them. If you don't have their blog, you can go to mine and click on either one of theirs. Keep blogging, I think of you often!
Shawnah Shingleton